CONNECT. SUPPORT. INSPIRE.
Sun Devil student-athletes are monetizing and profiting from their name, image and likeness (NIL). This is a chance for Sun Devil fans from around the world to support their favorite student-athletes while receiving exclusive access and benefits.
Sun Angel Collective was created with a goal of supporting student-athletes at Arizona State by facilitating legal and compliant NIL opportunities as well as helping those athletes prepare for the future.
Sun Angel Collective provides fans and supporters with access to their favorite student-athletes through contributions and subscriptions. Each membership level will include various exclusive benefits which allows the student-athletes to receive legal compensation for their NIL. One-time donations to Sun Angel Collective will be dispersed to the student-athletes.
Board of Directors
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS NIL?
NIL stands for “Name, Image, and Likeness” specifically referring to the use of an athlete’s NIL through marketing and promotional endeavors. Student-athletes at NCAA institutions could begin monetizing their NIL beginning on July 1, 2021.
WHAT ARE THE NCAA RULES REGARDING NIL?
Generally speaking, all NIL activities are permitted, as they follow these four guidelines:
- There must be quid pro quo attached to an NIL deal essentially requiring a student-athlete to do an activity in order to receive compensation.
- That activity cannot be tied to athletic performance such as statistical achievements, wins, or awards.
- That activity cannot be contingent upon the student-athlete committing to the university that the collective supports or tied to enrollment.
- Institutions do not provide compensation in exchange for the use of a student-athlete’s NIL.
NCAA rules also require student-athletes to follow their state law or institutional policy if there is no existing state law governing NIL activities.
WHAT IS AN NIL ACTIVITY?
An NIL activity involves the use of a student-athlete’s name, image, or likeness for promotional purposes by a third-party not associated with the NCAA or an NCAA institution such as:
- Social media influencing and other promotions
- Personal appearances at businesses, conferences, camps, parties
TV ads, radio ads, print ads
- Endorsements of a third-party
- Student-athlete-run camps and private lessons
- Sale of student-athlete owned apparel and personal items
- Student-athlete run businesses
WHO DOES SUN ANGEL COLLECTIVE WORK WITH?
Sun Angel Collective works with student-athletes from Arizona State University.
Does Arizona have an NIL state law?
Yes – Senate Bill 1296 (signed March 26, 2021)
Does Arizona State have an NIL Policy?
Yes – Arizona State has a Student-Athlete Name, Image and Likeness Activity Policy as well as more information on their website.
IS SUN ANGEL COLLECTIVE AN ENTITY OF ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY?
No – Sun Angel Collective is a third-party entity that is unaffiliated with Arizona State University.
HOW WILL SUN ANGEL COLLECTIVE BE GOVERNED AND ADMINISTERED?
- Sun Angel Collective has a Board of Directors whose purpose will be to organize the entity, raise funds, and review and ratify annual audits.
- The Board of Directors has engaged Oncoor Sports to administer the Opendorse account, manage the accounting for the fund, support the annual audit, as well as manage public relations.
- The Board of Directors will not be paid by the Sun Angel Collective for ANY purpose in furtherance of the NIL activities.
- The Sun Angel Collective intends to operate as a public charity as described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
HOW WILL PAYMENTS BE MADE TO THE PLAYERS?
Sun Angel Collective utilizes Opendorse, the leading operating software provider for collectives. This software allows student-athletes to provide compliance reporting to Arizona State and the NCAA (if requested) as well as serves as the way to distribute funds to student-athletes after they have completed their NIL obligation.
Does Sun Angel Collective work with recruits or prospective student-athletes?
No – In compliance with NIL regulations, Sun Angel Collective will not meet with, contact, offer a deal, etc. to any prospective student-athlete. Until a student-athlete has signed their NLI and/or the institution has received a deposit of financial aid, they will not be contacted by the Collective.
How does the collective support youth service organizations?
The Sun Angel Collective coordinates with local youth service non-profits and identifies opportunities for Sun Devil Student athletes to support their mission. The Sun Angel Collective compensates the Student Athlete for their work at no expense to the organization being served.
HOW DOES THE COLLECTIVE SUPPORT LOCAL NON-PROFITS?
The Sun Angel Collective coordinates with local non-profits and identifies opportunities for Sun Devil Student athletes to support their mission. The Sun Angel Collective compensates the Student Athlete for their work at no expense to the organization being served.
For further questions, please contact us.